Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Happy to me

Rick is so sweet.  He got me a new sewing machine for Christmas.  It's so fancy that it took both of us an hour to learn how to thread it on Christmas day.  I've been so excited to try it out, but a little intimidated as well.  After the hour long attempt to thread the machine, I was almost in tears and ready to return the whole thing on Dec. 26.  But, I plugged along and have learned what a few of the whistles and bells do.  I have mastered some simple projects for the last week just so I could concentrate on the complicated owners manual and all of the fancy things I may some day learn how to do.  
Here's the thing, I'm sad to let me old sewing machine go.  Now that I've used this new one, I'm realizing how crappy my old sewing machine really was.  It doesn't have a light.  I know, I know, just replace the light, right? Wrong, I tried that like 5 times, for the last little while I've just been using an old desk lamp aimed at the needle area when I sew.  I bought that old thing for $89 at Walmart.  It was in K'ville.  I had been tutoring and I had saved every single penny until I could afford to buy the cheapest machine there was.  I was so excited, and the funny thing is, I couldn't sew a straight line if I tried.  but, I've learned a little along the way. I sewed these cute little dish towels last week so practice using my new machine.  The Christmas decorations weren't even put away and I was whipping cute Valentine looking dish towels.  I just couldn't help how cute they turned out.  I made one last night with green so that I'll be ready for St. Patrick's day. 
   

5 comments:

missliss5/Melissa said...

That is so exciting! I'm really thrilled for you, you so deserve the fancy machine. And I can sympathize with trying to figure out how to work the crazy thing--that must have been so frustrating. I totally love the dish cloth you made and can't wait to see what's next!

Amara said...

I love the towel! I can sympathize too. I just got a new washing machine (my old one died Christmas day) and I kind of wish I had my old one back. I can't figure it out. Top of the line be darned sometimes (although the clothes are actually CLEAN when they come out which is something new). It takes me an extra half hour every load though. Whatever.

Jacobson Five said...

You are so funny. I need to hang out with you more, because I really want to sew but I just never know what to do. Your full of great ideas.

Jess said...

how fun! I am loving my new machine and am actually taking some classes offered by the store where we bought it from to learn even more about all the amazing things it can do. I love the dish towel, what a cute idea.

Carroll Family said...

I am so happy you got a new machine - I had no idea you were sewing all those cute aprons with no light!!! Shadows drive me nuts when I'm sewing! The towel is SO CUTE - I never think to make cute stuff like that!