Saturday, January 28, 2012

Basket Weave Afghan

I took this to Hawaii when we went in March last year.  
I thought it would give me something to do on the plane.

It took a lot longer to do than I had anticipated.
I think I barely made it through 2 of the 9 skeins of yarn on that trip.

But I was really glad that I had it.
I sat and crocheted for hours while we watched TV/news waiting for information about the Earthquake and Tsunami.  So, I call this the Tsunami Blanket.

I bought all of the yarn at the same to time so I wouldn't have issues with different yarn die lots.
But, one of the skeins of yarn was off just a little bit.  
I noticed it before I even started using it.  But I used it anyways.
That makes it an intentional design feature. or something.
I leave this on the chair in the front room where I can wrap up in it and watch the kids go out to the bus stop every morning.
Here is the free pattern that I got from craft passion:
Basket Weave Afghan
[with yarn 1 (blue)]
Starting Row: ch156, turn.
Row 1 : sk 3 ch, dc in the 4th ch from hook, ch2, turn. (Counting the first sk 3 ch as 1dc, there is 154dc on this row)
Row 2 & 3 : skip first st, hdc1 on the next st, *FPdc3, BPdc3* repeat 25 times until last 2 sts. hdc2, ch2 (deem as first st for the following row), turn.
Row 4 & 5 : skip 1st st, hdc1 on the next st, *BPdc3, FPdc3* repeat 25 times until last 2 sts. hdc2, ch2, turn.
Repeat row 2 to 5 until row 85 or until the blanket measure about 30″, ending with either row 3 or row 5 pattern minus the ch2 st.
BorderDetermine which side you want as the front of the blanket to crochet the border. 
There is no turning on the border, all stitches are done on the front.[with yarn 1 (blue)]
Round 1 : Ch1, 3 sc in the same corner. sc1 on every st around the entire blanket, with 3 sc in each corner. slst to the beginning ch. fo. Don’t turn.[with yarn 2 (brown)]
Round 2 – 6 : Ch1, sc on back loops only around entire blanket, with 3 sc in each corner. slst to the beginning ch, don’t turn. fo after finish row 6.
Weave and hide all yarn ends.



No comments: